Monday, January 15, 2007

Halloween


For Halloween the children at the elementary school in my first host village of Milestii Micii put together a presentation about Halloween for us Americans. We were invited to dress up and listen to them present what they have learn in English. They actually knew more about the holiday's origins than I did. Afterwards, we were ushered into a candle light room, because the electricity decided not to work, for a masa. During the course of the masa the English teacher turned to me and pointed to two other female teachers and bluntly said, "Chris, these two ladies are not married, perhaps you would like to talk with them." But me being me, I was distracted by something else and not paying the least bit attention to what was said. Luckily one of my friends saved face by saying that I was married or I had a girl friend back home or something to the effect. (I have found that the three most common questions people have asked when they first meet me, in order, are: what is your name, how old are you, are you married.) Other than that the rest of the night was a blast. We drank homemade wine until the candles burnt away.

From left to right: Drea the Hippie, Vanny the Hula Girl, Renell the Witch, Becca as Lady Liberty, Sharon as Super Sharon, Angela as the Skeleton, and me as the Mummy.

No comments: