Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Preservice Traning Blues

OR,
(first I was over there, but now I'm over here, why I don't know blues.)

I wake up in the morning because that rooster wants to crow
I rub my eyes and I wonder if he knows
I was drinking wine in the beci late the night before
I’ve woken in Moldova - I guess I joined the Peace Corps.

It’s early in the morning and I’m frozen to the bone
I look for my breakfast and I find I’m all alone
I’m late for language class and I can’t find any clean underwear
I’ve woken in Moldova and I’m wondering why the hell I’m here.

I see a man in a cart, drawn by a horse
So I flag him down to ask “where’s the golf course?”
Well he comes down from his pile of corn and gets all up in my face
Through his bad breath and golden teeth he says “Nu Engleza”

Well the rutiera, rolls on down the street
It smells like cigarettes and sausage, armpits and feet
It’s the only place I know where you can go to get to know your neighbor
And when you think it’s full, there’s always room for one more.

So I take it from week to week and I learn of a new disease
That I might catch when I hear someone sneeze
Don’t drink the water and go swiming only if you dare
But don't you worry about me 'cause I’m gonna be here for two more years.

DIACLAIMER: The views represented in this posting are of the author only and do not reflect the views of Peace Corps Moldova. This song describes fictional situations, not to be confused with generalizations.

No comments: